This is the perfect quick summer feast that requires very little prep work. Using seasonal summer veggies which are grilled on the BBQ, this really brings out their sweetness and works perfectly with a BBQ’d steak. Top it all off with fresh basil and feta and a good drizzle of homemade chimichurri dressing. The dressing’s nutritional benefits will help mop up the oxidising free radicals that can be produced when bbqing meat, they work in synergy together. If you would like to bulk this dish out with more carbs, add a tin of washed brown lentils.
Recipe by Rosie Eyre of By Rosie
Serves 2-3 people
Takes 35-40 minutes
For the bbq:
400g (2 steaks) organic sirloin steak
400g bullhorn capsicum
2 shallots, peeled and halved
1 zucchini, thickly sliced
80g feta, crumbled
basil leaves (for garnish, optional)
For the chimichurri dressing:
1 bunch coriander (20g), stalks roughly chopped, include stalks
½ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
2.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
5 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp honey or brown sugar
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp pumpkin or sunflower seeds
salt and pepper
N.B: Tablespoon (tbsp) measurement used is 15ml
- Preheat BBQ on high. Prep all your BBQ ingredients. Season sirloin with salt and pepper and drizzle of olive oil. Set aside.
- Place your bullhorn capsicum, thickly sliced zucchini, shallots in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil, toss to coat.
- Add capsicum and zucchini to BBQ and cook for a further 10-15mins, turning a couple of times to ensure all sides are slightly charred. Once cooked set aside on a large plate and crumble over feta. Scatter over a few basil leaves over veggies, if preferred.
- Add sirloin steaks to hot BBQ and for medium rare, grill for 2-3 mins either side for a medium rare steak. Leave on another plate to rest once cooked.
- Whilst sirloin is resting. Add coriander, chilli flakes (optional), apple cider vinegar, olive oil, honey, garlic clove and pumpkin seeds into a food processor, blend together until desired consistency, season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Thickly slice sirloin steaks, drizzle over a few spoonfuls of chimichurri dressing. Tip* may leave chimichurri on the side, may also leave sirloin steaks whole.
- Serve up and enjoy